If another person caused your injuries while you were riding a bicycle, you should contact the Los Angeles personal injury lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC. We might be able to help you hold the at-fault driver liable for their negligent or careless actions. We could file an insurance claim or lawsuit on your behalf and aggressively fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Bicycle accidents are dangerous, causing severe injuries and fatalities. More often than not, the person on the bike ends up with more serious injuries than the occupants of a motor vehicle. The size difference between a bicycle and car and the lack of safety devices available to a bicyclist make the rider more vulnerable during an accident. You likely required medical treatment to recover, resulting in expensive bills and other associated costs.
You should not be financially responsible when someone else caused the injuries you sustained. At OnderLaw, LLC, our Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers will advocate for your rights during the legal process and remain by your side until the very end. Call us at (314) 963-9000 today for your free and confidential consultation.
Why Do I Need A Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
Legal cases can be a challenge to handle. When you’re healing your injuries, you probably don’t want the additional responsibility of taking on the other driver or their insurance company. There are many steps involved in the legal process, and it could be overwhelming to face alone. If you encounter any obstacles along the way, you might not know how to overcome them.
The Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC can relieve the burden and take on each step on your behalf. You won’t have to worry about communicating with the intimidating insurance company or figuring out where to locate crucial evidence. We can investigate the bike accident to determine who was at fault and gather relevant evidence to prove you deserve compensation.
Common types of evidence we might need include:
- Police reports
- Your medical records and medical bills
- Video surveillance footage
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Accident scene photos
- At-fault driver’s auto insurance policy
- Repair estimates from the other driver’s vehicle damage
- Value of damage to your bike
We can walk you through the process of an insurance claim or lawsuit and advise the best options for recovering the maximum compensation you need. Our legal team is available 24/7 to answer all your questions and provide a status update on your case. You will not be alone during this traumatic experience. You can depend on us to be there to provide you with quality legal services, guidance, and support.
Why Choose OnderLaw, LLC?
The Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC have been representing accident victims since 2002 and have recovered over $3 billion in compensation for our clients. We hold an AV rating from the peer review rated service Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating you can receive as a lawyer. We have won multiple awards from prestigious legal organizations, such as the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Super Lawyers, and the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers, to name just a few. We’ve also been featured in various publications, such as Missouri Lawyers Weekly and St. Louis Business Journal.
We understand that many of our clients face financial struggles while healing their injuries after a bike accident. We don’t want to add to your burden while you’re pursuing legal action against the negligent driver. That is why we take cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you don’t have to pay upfront fees or costs. We’re happy to provide legal representation and not collect our legal fees unless we win a monetary award in your case. If we lose, you won’t have to pay us.
At OnderLaw, LLC, it’s important to us that you trust us. We will provide you with one-on-one attention to get to know you and your case. We approach our clients with compassion and understanding after they go through such a horrible accident. We will treat you like family and fight for the justice you deserve. Our goal is to ensure you receive the maximum compensation you need to cover your costs and move on with your life.
Bike Accident Cases We Handle
When you ride your bicycle, you face dangers at every turn. Sharing the road with other people puts you at risk of injury. If a driver isn’t paying attention to what they’re doing, they could sideswipe you or run you over at a crosswalk.
The Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC can handle various types of bicycle accidents, such as:
- Dooring accidents – The driver of a parked car opens the door without checking for a passing bicyclist. As a result, the bicyclist crashes into the opened door, sustaining injuries from the impact.
- Distracted driving – Distractions come in many forms. Texting while driving, changing the radio, and talking to a passenger are just a few common examples of distractions that could lead to an accident.
- Left-turn accidents – Drivers must look for oncoming bicyclists before making a left-hand turn. If they don’t, they could drive into the path of a bicyclist or crash into them.
- Failure to yield the right of way – Bicyclists have the right of way in certain situations. Motorists who ignore traffic signs and signals could cause an accident.
- Hit-and-run accidents – It’s illegal for someone to cause a collision and flee the scene before law enforcement arrives. Cases like this are complicated to navigate, and you will need help from an experienced lawyer.
- Rear-end collisions – Bicyclists who share the road with vehicles could end up in a rear-end collision if the driver behind tailgates them and can’t stop in time for traffic or an emergency.
- Sideswipe accidents – Motorists often sideswipe bicyclists if they pass one too closely or don’t check their blind spots before merging.
- Road defects – Potholes, malfunctioning traffic signals, and other defects could cause a bicyclist to lose control and crash. The company responsible for maintaining and repairing the road could be held liable for the resulting injuries.
- Driving under the influence – Drugs and alcohol impair a person’s driving abilities. They’re unable to operate their vehicle safely and could end up crashing into a bicyclist.
You should contact OnderLaw, LLC, so we can review your case if any of these or another type of bike accident caused your injuries. We can review the facts to determine the available legal options and if we can represent you in your case.
Common Injuries Suffered In Bike Accidents
Bicyclists have limited safety devices at their disposal. A helmet is the only thing protecting them during a crash. With no airbag or seatbelt, bicyclists can feel the full force of an impact when a car barrels into them. Injuries can range from minor to severe, but many suffer permanent physical injuries or end up with lifelong medical problems.
Common injuries associated with bicycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding
After the initial impact of an accident, the bike rider could sustain subsequent injuries. Some people suffer additional injuries if the car that hit them or another car runs them over. There’s also a risk of becoming impaled by the handlebars on the bicycle or flying debris.
Any injury could require medical treatment. Medical bills can be expensive, especially if you don’t have health insurance. The at-fault driver should be financially responsible for your expenses and the suffering you were forced to endure. Their actions led to the accident, and you should have the opportunity to hold them liable.
Types of Compensation You Could Be Owed
Various losses might be available in an insurance claim or lawsuit. These losses can be emotional, financial, or physical. They include:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The compensation you receive could cover your past and future losses, so you don’t have to pay for anything yourself. However, the amount of money will depend on multiple factors. Typically, the more severe the injury, the higher the compensation. In contrast, if your injury was minor and you required minimal medical care, you would likely receive a lower settlement to cover your costs.
Time Limits for Filing a Lawsuit
Insurance companies don’t usually require a specific timeframe for filing a claim. However, many policies state that you should file “promptly” or “within a reasonable amount of time.” OnderLaw, LLC can request a copy of the at-fault driver’s insurance policy to determine how much time there is to file the claim. It’s best to do file a claim immediately after a bike accident to ensure there’s adequate time to prepare for a lawsuit if necessary.
Lawsuits, on the other hand, come with strict deadlines. If you miss one, it could negatively impact the outcome of your case. California has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases. That means you have two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit; otherwise, you could lose your right to compensation.
The Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC will help you navigate this devastating and overwhelming time in your life. While you’re coping with the aftermath of the accident and recovering from your injuries, we will diligently build your case. We can aggressively negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement that compensates for your losses and, if necessary, litigate your case in court.
If you sustained injuries in a bicycle accident, call OnderLaw, LLC at (314) 963-9000 for a free consultation to discuss your case.