If you were injured on someone else’s property due to the owner’s negligent actions, you should reach out to the Santa Clarita personal injury lawyers of OnderLaw for legal assistance. You might be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party. You likely require medical treatment to heal and should not be financially responsible for those expenses if your actions didn’t contribute to the accident.

In a premises liability case, you can hold an owner liable for the injury you suffered from the dangerous conditions on their property. Dangerous conditions can involve anything from poor lighting in a dark area to a damaged staircase due to inadequate maintenance. If you have evidence to show the owner’s misconduct resulted in the accident, you could seek compensation to cover your losses.

At OnderLaw, we have a dedicated legal team to provide the legal services you need. We can help you hold the property owner accountable for what they’ve done. You should not be forced to pay out of pocket for any bills related to your injury if the negligent owner were entirely at fault. In an insurance claim or lawsuit, the compensation you receive should give you the financial means necessary to afford your incurred costs while recovering.

Call OnderLaw right now or reach out to us online for a free consultation with one of our Santa Clarita premises liability lawyers.

Property Owner/Manager Responsibility in California

Property owners are individuals or entities that control, own, occupy, or lease a premises. The owner can be held liable for a guest’s injuries if they cause an accident on their property. That means they would become responsible for the losses associated with the injury you sustained.

It’s critical to understand that in a premises liability case, the property owner doesn’t necessarily have to be at fault for the dangerous conditions on their property. Although they are responsible for providing a safe place for visitors, another party could be at fault for your injury.

For example, if an employee fails to mop up a spilled drink at a restaurant, their negligence can directly cause a customer’s injury. However, it is the restaurant owner’s duty to discover the spilled drink and clean it up promptly or place a warning sign near it. If an accident results from the hazard, the owner would assume liability for the victim’s injuries.

Any party on commercial or residential property could be responsible for causing injuries to a guest, including:

  • Landlord
  • Property management company
  • A premises employee
  • Homeowner
  • Business or property owner
  • Third-party contractor
  • Maintenance worker
  • Tenant
  • A governmental entity or employee
  • Parent company

Determining fault after a premises liability accident can be a complicated process. You should consult an experienced attorney immediately to learn about your legal options.

Places Where Premises Liability Claims Could Arise

No matter where you go, you could encounter unsafe conditions that cause you harm. Accident victims face not only physical injuries but emotional injuries as well. Even if your scars heal, you could end up with severe psychological damage from the traumatic experience. Some people develop anxiety or depression and avoid any place that reminds them of the accident.

At OnderLaw, our Santa Clarita premises liability lawyers understand the struggles of healing after an accident on another person’s property. It can take a significant toll on your life and disrupt your daily routine. If you don’t recovery fully, you face lifelong complications of a disability. You might need assistance performing household chores and basic tasks. You could also require ongoing treatment to manage pain and mobility issues.

The medical expenses associated with severe injuries can add up and cause economic burdens for you and your family. You could end up in debt if you can’t afford to pay your bills. The negligent owner should be forced to compensate you for these losses since they were at fault for the accident.

OnderLaw represents clients in premises liability cases involving a range of public and private properties, including:

  • Parking lots
  • Shopping malls
  • Sports arenas
  • Amusement parks
  • Stores
  • Office buildings
  • Swimming pools
  • Children’s playgrounds
  • Residential homes and communities
  • Hotels
  • Public parks
  • Concert venues
  • Apartment buildings

Accidents can occur on many other properties besides these. If hazardous conditions injure you, do not hesitate to contact OnderLaw. We can investigate what happened and gather evidence to prove who caused your injuries. We are familiar with the process we need to follow to pursue compensation directly from the owner or their insurance company.

Types of Premises Liability Accidents

A significant number of scenarios can arise and lead to devastating accidents. Even if you feel safe in a friend’s private home or restaurant you frequent, you could encounter structural damage, defective equipment, or toxic substances resulting in an injury or illness.

The most common types of premises liability accidents are:

  • Dog attacks and bite injuries
  • Swimming pool accidents
  • Improperly trained security guards
  • Slip/trip and falls
  • Exposure to harmful chemicals
  • Uneven or slippery floor
  • Escalator or elevator malfunction
  • Fires and explosions
  • Collapsed balconies
  • Defective staircases
  • Unstable bookcases, shelves, or tables
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Unusual flooring transitions
  • Missing railings
  • Walkway obstructions
  • Cracked sidewalk or pavement
  • Loose tiles and floorboards
  • Lack of warning signs around hazards
  • Cords, debris, and other items in a hallway or aisle
  • Violation of building safety codes
  • Potholes in a parking lot

Even if you suffered a minor injury, you have the right to hold the property owner liable. Any costs incurred from the accident deserve to be compensated by the negligent party.

The Santa Clarita premises liability lawyers of OnderLaw know you face an uphill battle. Insurance companies can be intimidating and might try to scare you into accepting a lowball settlement offer. You should never take them on without an experienced legal team in your corner. We can handle the claim on your behalf and aggressively pursue the maximum settlement available.

Compensation for Injuries on Private, Public, or Commercial Properties

The process of seeking the money you’re owed will depend on the circumstances of the incident. If you were injured at a relative or friend’s home, you could file a claim with their homeowner’s insurance carrier. OnderLaw will review the policy to determine the available coverage and try to secure a settlement to cover the losses you suffered.

If an injury happens on public property, you could hold the business owner liable by filing a claim with their liability insurance company. Business and property owners typically carry this form of insurance to protect themselves if their negligence or an employee’s negligence causes an accident.

If the liability or homeowner’s insurer denies your claim or fails to offer an adequate settlement amount, we could proceed with a lawsuit against them. There is a statute of limitations you must follow to seek compensation in a lawsuit. California has a two-year statute of limitations. That means you have to initiate your lawsuit in court within two years of the injury. After the statute passes, you will likely lose your right to compensation.

Claims against governmental entities require following a different set of rules. Sovereign immunity protects the government from liability for injuries caused by negligent employees. However, the California Tort Claims Act allows an accident victim to seek legal action against the entity if its employee’s nuisance, breach of contract, negligence, or intentional wrongs resulted in your injury. The employee must have been acting within the scope of their employment at the time of the accident.

You must file a written notice of claim against the entity within six months of the injury. The notice should include detailed information regarding the incident, such as where it happened, how it happened, the injuries suffered, and the specific amount of money you’re seeking. Submit any documentation proving your claim along with the notice.

The government will review everything and decide if they reject or approve your claim. If they reject the claim, you could file a lawsuit. The same two-year statute applies to lawsuits against state and local municipalities as lawsuits against homeowners or property owners.

The compensation you receive in a claim or lawsuit should compensate you for your losses, such as:

  • Medical expenses
  • Emotional distress
  • Physical impairment or disfigurement
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Pain and suffering
  • Lost wages
  • Lost earning capacity
  • Damage to personal property

You can also pursue exemplary damages when you file a lawsuit. Instead of compensating the plaintiff for their losses, an award of these damages punishes the defendant for their actions and aims to deter similar misconduct in the future. There must be proof of the at-fault property owner’s malice, oppression, or fraud for a jury to award you with exemplary damages.

Injured on Someone’s Property? Contact OnderLaw Now

OnderLaw has represented accident victims in premises liability cases since 2002. We will be your advocate and fight for your rights. Our team will handle every legal aspect of your case from start to finish, so nothing falls through the cracks. You won’t face the burden of preparing a claim or lawsuit yourself. We will complete each step so you can focus on healing.

If you sustained an injury in an accident on another person’s dangerous property, contact OnderLaw today for your free consultation. Our Santa Clarita premises liability lawyers are available 24/7 to speak with you. We work on contingency, so you’re not responsible for upfront fees or costs. W won’t expect payment of any legal fees unless we secure compensation for you from the at-fault party. Call today.