San Jose Rideshare Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft in California, you may be entitled to compensation. These accidents can result in costly medical bills, emotional distress, and a web of uncertainty around who is liable. An experienced rideshare accident lawyer can represent your interests to ensure that you do not take the fall for someone else’s mistake.
The San Jose personal injury lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC are prepared to help you face the fallout of the accident today. Our team is incredibly well-versed in California’s complicated rideshare laws, and we know how to stand up to aggressive companies like Uber and Lyft. We’ll put all of our knowledge and resources into your case to fight for the compensation you deserve.
We work on a contingency-fee basis, and we offer a free consultation to all prospective clients. To schedule your consultation, call (314) 963-9000 now.
Do I Need a Rideshare Accident Lawyer?
If you have been hurt in a rideshare car accident, it is important to reach out to an experienced lawyer for help. These cases can be incredibly complex, especially as the legal landscape in California continues to evolve. In too many cases, this complexity makes it easy for Uber, Lyft, and powerful insurance companies to deny innocent passengers and motorists the compensation they are rightfully owed.
More often than not, an accident involving an Uber or Lyft driver is a headache to address. This has been true since rideshare apps went live in 2009, mainly because these accidents typically involve three parties at a minimum. And now that California Assembly Bill 5 has gone into effect, making Uber and Lyft drivers official employees of the companies, the legal situation has gotten even more confusing.
With a skilled rideshare attorney on your side, you will be prepared to stand up to insurance providers and rideshare companies who may attempt to lowball or even deny your settlement claim. A lawyer will know what compensation you deserve after a rideshare accident and will be able to negotiate with insurance companies to pursue that settlement on your behalf. If necessary, they will also be ready to litigate aggressively in court to get your money.
Why Choose OnderLaw, LLC?
In the aftermath of a complicated rideshare accident, the last thing anyone wants to worry about is paying any additional costs. At OnderLaw, LLC, we understand that. We also understand that having a good attorney is key to recovering fair compensation in these cases – and we’re determined to make our services accessible to all accident victims who need them.
That’s why we work on a contingency-fee basis. In other words, under our policy, you won’t have to pay us if we don’t win your case. Not only will there be no fees upfront, but there also won’t be any at all unless or until you receive the compensation you deserve.
Not every attorney can afford to represent clients on a contingency-fee basis. We are fortunate to have this financial flexibility because we are confident in the odds of every case we take on and because we have a wealth of experience and resources to help power each case. OnderLaw, LLC has recovered more than $3 billion total in settlements for past clients and has received recognition from Super Lawyers, Top 100 National Trial Lawyers, and the American Trial Lawyers Association. If we represent you in your rideshare accident case, you can rest assured that we will put our tried-and-true skills to work, whether it be in the courtroom or in negotiations with your insurance provider.
Types of Rideshare Accident Cases We Handle
Part of what makes rideshare accidents so complex is that they often involve three or more parties. It is common for a single crash to implicate the Uber/Lyft driver, their passengers, the other driver, and the rideshare company itself. Some accidents may be even messier, such as a multi-car pile-up or a crash involving a commercial bus or truck.
No matter your role in the accident, we are prepared to hear your story and offer any assistance we can. We handle rideshare accident cases for a wide range of clients, including:
- Passengers: If you were an Uber or Lyft passenger at the time of the accident, there’s virtually no question that the accident wasn’t your fault. Unfortunately, that won’t stop insurance companies and rideshare companies from trying to shrug off liability while your accident costs go uncompensated. An experienced personal injury lawyer can keep you from getting caught in the middle of a nasty game of financial tug-of-war so that your medical bills and other expenses don’t hang in limbo.
- Other motorists: As another driver in an accident with an Uber or Lyft vehicle, you should contact a rideshare lawyer promptly after the crash. Depending on the driver’s work status at the time of the accident – that is, whether they were logged into the Uber/Lyft app, transporting passengers, on the way to pick up passengers, etc. – you may be owed compensation from either the rideshare company or the driver’s personal insurance provider. Either way, you are likely to face an uphill battle to recover fair compensation and ensure you aren’t stuck with unjust blame. An attorney can ward off any unfounded claims that another party makes against you, and will make sure that an insurance or rideshare company doesn’t lowball your settlement.
- Pedestrians: If you were injured by an Uber or Lyft driver while walking, you may be entitled to significant compensation. Undoubtedly, you should not have to pay for any such injuries inflicted while you were walking on the sidewalk or lawfully crossing the street. What remains uncertain is whether the driver’s personal insurance or Uber/Lyft is liable for these expenses and whether that party will attempt to shirk this legal responsibility. A lawyer who is well-versed in the nuances of California’s rideshare laws will defend your interests and help you recover the compensation you need and deserve.
Common Injuries Suffered in Rideshare Accidents
Rideshare apps have grown incredibly popular in recent years, and with that increase in popularity has come an increase in the number of rideshare accidents. As is true of all car accidents, crashes involving a rideshare driver can vary significantly in the severity and types of injuries that result.
Some injuries that are commonly suffered in rideshare accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal injuries
- Broken bones
- Sprained joints
- Eye injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Hearing damage
- Nerve damage
What Compensation Is Available After a Rideshare Accident?
If you have suffered injuries in a rideshare accident, you may be entitled to compensation. The source, amount, and forms of available compensation will depend on a few factors:
- What or who caused the accident. Your lawyer will carefully investigate the accident to determine which party is at fault. It is possible that either the rideshare driver or another motorist will be found liable due to reckless driving, distracted driving, driving under the influence, or a number of other negligent actions. It is also possible that another party will be found liable. For instance, in the event of a poorly kept roadway causing a crash, the government may be held responsible.
- The rideshare driver’s status at the time of the accident. If the rideshare driver is responsible for the crash, then the source of any compensation will depend on the driver’s working capacity at that moment. For example:
- If the driver was not logged into the Uber/Lyft app at the time of the accident, then the driver’s personal auto insurance will be responsible for damages.
- If the driver has accepted a ride and/or picked up a passenger, then the rideshare company’s insurance will be responsible for damages. Uber and Lyft both provide up to $1 million in coverage at this point.
- Losses you have suffered due to the accident. You may receive compensation for different costs you have incurred from the accident, including:
- Medical expenses, present and future
- Lost wages, including PTO and sick days
- Loss of working capacity
- Pain and suffering, including mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Funeral and burial costs
What to Do After a Rideshare Accident
When a rideshare accident occurs, it is critical to ensure everyone’s safety and protect your long-term well-being. Here are a few steps you should take to minimize harm and maximize your chances of receiving a fair settlement down the line:
- See if anyone needs medical assistance and make sure emergency personnel are called.
- Get to a medical provider as soon as you can. Some injuries don’t present right away, so even if you feel fine, go to your doctor right away to document your post-accident condition.
- Take detailed, time-stamped photos of the scene of the accident. Take the photos from different angles, and make sure to include any injuries, property damage, skid marks, relevant weather and/or road conditions, road signs, and all cars’ license plates.
- Gather and record the driver’s license, registration, and insurance info of all drivers involved in the accident, as well as the Uber or Lyft driver’s rideshare identification number (or other proof that they work for a rideshare company).
- Stay off social media. Whatever you post about the accident could come back to haunt you if the other side sees what you’ve written and uses it against you.
- Contact a San Jose rideshare accident lawyer.
Contact OnderLaw, LLC
If you have been injured in a rideshare accident, do not delay to seek the help you need. The more time that passes following the accident, the more evidence may be lost or destroyed. A lawyer can work quickly and skillfully to gather as much evidence as possible to strengthen your case.
Our team is ready to help you today. For a free consultation with an experienced California rideshare lawyer, call (314) 963-9000.