Vehicle-related accidents involving bicyclists are common throughout the country. In 2019, 843 bicyclists died in collisions with motor vehicles. The lack of safety restraints on bikes is one of the main reasons severe injuries and fatalities often occur. The San Diego personal injury lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC represent bicycle accident victims and help them hold the at-fault driver liable. You might be entitled to financial compensation and should have the opportunity to pursue a legal case.
Bicycles are excellent sources of exercise and convenient for getting around the city when traffic congestion slows everyone down. Unfortunately, they also pose a danger to the rider. Vehicle drivers typically ignore bicyclists. They might veer into the bike lane or turn without looking for a crossing rider first. Crashing into a car or truck often results in catastrophic injuries to the biker.
The San Diego bike accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC understand the emotional toll this traumatic experience can take. When you’re injured, out of work, and worried about your expensive medical bills, it can seem overwhelming. When you hire us, we will seek the maximum available compensation you deserve to cover your expenses. Call us at (314) 963-9000 for a free consultation right now.
Why Do I Need a Bike Accident Lawyer?
You might feel disoriented and in shock after a bike accident. It isn’t easy making the right decisions or even knowing what you should do next. The injuries you sustained could be debilitating, preventing you from taking the necessary steps to protect your rights and gather evidence at the scene. Hiring an experienced San Diego bike accident lawyer guarantees someone with experience can handle your case thoroughly.
You won’t have to worry about the legal aspects of a lawsuit or communicate with the intimidating insurance company for compensation. You can count on your legal team to handle everything from start to finish of the process. Additionally, being unfamiliar with state laws could put you in a position to accept the first settlement offer you receive, not realizing you might deserve so much more. OnderLaw, LLC does whatever it takes to maximize the value of your case, so you receive the financial award you need to compensate for your medical costs and other losses.
Why Choose OnderLaw, LLC?
The San Diego bike accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC represent accident victims in San Diego and throughout California. We have a team of award-winning attorneys ready to go to battle for you against the at-fault driver and their insurance company. You deserve a chance at rebuilding your life and moving forward with the money you’re owed so you can afford your expenses. We fight aggressively and put our skills to excellent use to reach a favorable outcome for our clients.
At OnderLaw, LLC, we don’t just tell you what you want to hear. We provide entirely transparent communication from the second you walk into our offices. We can advise you about the available legal options and what we believe would be the best strategy moving forward. We keep your interests in mind as we prepare your case and pursue your legal goals.
Bike Accident Cases We Handle
The San Diego bike accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC handle a wide range of injury cases involving bicyclists. Although traffic laws are the same for bicyclists as vehicle drivers, many motorists overlook bike riders. Driver error and inattention often lead to devastating crashes with bicycles. The bicyclist typically suffers more severe injuries than the occupants of a car or truck.
Many factors can cause a bicycle accident, such as:
- Distracted driving – Texting while driving is common on roadways throughout the country. When a driver looks at their cell phone or becomes distracted by something else, they’re not paying attention to the traffic around them. They could inadvertently drift into the bicycle lane or turn into a bike rider’s path, causing a collision.
- Left-turn into a bike lane – Specific laws give bicyclists their own path, so they don’t have to share a lane with vehicles. However, this doesn’t stop motorists from crossing into the lane as they’re turning. Blocking the path of a bike rider can have deadly consequences for the rider.
- Dooring – A driver parking their car must check for oncoming bicyclists before opening their doors. If they don’t look first, they could open their car door in the path of a rider.
- Failure to observe bike lanes – Drivers should always check nearby bicycle lanes before merging, turning, or making any other move with their vehicles. Failing to do so could lead to an accident with a rider crossing the street or traveling alongside a motorist.
- Failure to observe proper distance – It’s not just crucial for motor vehicle drivers to pay attention to other vehicles, but they should also remain aware of bicycle lanes. If they see a rider, they should keep enough distance between their car and the bicycle as they’re passing to avoid a crash.
- Failure to yield the right of way – There are certain times when one person is supposed to allow another person to proceed before them. Intersections are an excellent example of when a driver should yield to a bike rider. Running a red light or stop sign could lead to a T-bone accident with a bicyclist riding across the road.
- Unsafe lane changes – Sometimes, bicyclists must share lanes with cars and trucks when there isn’t a designated bike path. Motorists suddenly changing lanes without checking their blind spots or using a turn signal prevent the bicyclist from preparing for someone merging in front of them.
These are just a handful of examples of how accidents involving bicycles can occur. OnderLaw, LLC can handle various crashes with bike riders and seek the compensation necessary to pay for medical expenses and other costs. If you want to discuss your case with us, call for a free consultation immediately, so we can determine if it’s something we can handle.
Common Injuries Suffered in Bike Accidents
A wide range of circumstances could lead to a crash between a vehicle and bicycle, resulting in injuries and fatalities to the bike rider. Some of the most common injuries are:
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries
- Permanent disfigurement
- Loss of limb or amputation injury
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal damage
- Psychological or emotional trauma
- Permanent disability
Many injuries can result in permanent damage. They can affect someone’s daily routine and diminish their quality of life. Some situations lead to the bicyclist’s death due to the violent impact of the collision between their bike and a motor vehicle. The effects of an accident deserve compensation so the victim can heal their injuries and move forward with their life.
With the help of OnderLaw, LLC, you can pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit, so you’re able to pay for your treatment, damage to personal property, and other expenses you incurred. If you lost your loved one in a bike crash, you might be entitled to a monetary award from a wrongful death lawsuit.
Types of Compensation You Could Be Owed
California uses a fault system for accidents involving vehicles, pedestrians, motorcyclists, and even bicyclists. This law states that the person responsible for a crash resulting in injuries, property damage, or death should be liable for the resulting losses. These losses could include:
- Medical bills
- Disfigurement or physical impairment
- Pain and suffering
- Out of pocket expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Despite being on your bike when the accident happened, you could file a claim with the at-fault driver’s auto insurance company. State law requires all vehicle owners and operators to purchase liability insurance coverage with minimum limits of $15,000 for bodily injury and $5,000 for property damage. These limits could compensate for the multiple losses you suffered from the crash.
How Injury Claims Work/Time Limits for Filing a Lawsuit
At OnderLaw, LLC, we know the legal process for holding people accountable for their negligent actions and recovering the compensation our clients need and deserve for their injuries. We can file an insurance claim on your behalf and seek a settlement amount up to the limit listed on the driver’s policy. If the insurance company denies the claim or won’t provide a fair offer, we can move forward with a lawsuit.
Lawsuits require following a strict deadline. The statute of limitations is two years in California. That means you have a two-year timeframe to initiate legal action against the person who caused the crash. After two years pass, you could lose your right to gain the compensation you need to cover your total losses through the court system.
The San Diego bike accident lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC will fight on your behalf for the maximum financial award you deserve from the at-fault driver. We use aggressive tactics when negotiating for insurance settlements and pursuing a favorable jury verdict in court. When you hire us, we will work hard to hold the driver liable for the harm they caused.
If you were injured in a bicycle accident in San Diego, call OnderLaw, LLC at (314) 963-9000 for your free consultation.