If you suffered injuries on someone else’s property due to their negligence or total disregard for your safety, you might be entitled to compensation. You should contact the Riverside personal injury attorneys of OnderLaw immediately to discuss the available legal options and how we could help you hold the property owner liable.

Premises liability covers a range of different types of accidents. It is the legal basis for holding property owners liable for injuries that result from the defective or unsafe conditions on their properties. However, being involved in an accident at a store or friend’s home does not necessarily mean they were at fault. You must prove that the owner’s actions contributed to your injury to seek compensation from them.

The owner of government, commercial, and residential properties must provide a safe place for people to visit and help prevent them from suffering any harm. They should regularly maintain the property, remove hazards, and repair damage. They’re supposed to know about any dangerous conditions on their property and work to fix them promptly.

Unfortunately, some property owners don’t take the necessary steps to prevent accidents. They might notice structural damage to their building or leaking pipes but ignore the problem to save money. It also isn’t only the owner or manager’s responsibility to maintain the property. Any employee, maintenance worker, or landlord of an apartment complex could be at fault for an accident.

At OnderLaw , our Riverside premises liability attorneys have represented clients like you since 2002. We understand state laws and how to build a successful case. When you hire us, we will open an investigation immediately and work to obtain all the available evidence to prove the owner should be liable for your injury. We fight hard for our clients and help them pursue the justice they deserve.

For a free consultation, call OnderLaw today and find out how we can help you after a premises liability accident.

Property Owner/Manager Responsibility in California

Premises liability laws hold an occupier, landowner, or lessor liable if an accident occurs on their property that causes injuries. These types of cases hinge on negligence, which is the failure of one party to use a reasonable degree of care to avoid causing harm to another person.

Someone who occupies, leases, owns, or controls a property is negligent if they don’t:

  • Use reasonable care to maintain a reasonably safe property; or
  • Use reasonable care to find unsafe conditions and replace or repair damaged elements of the property, or provide guests with adequate warning of the potential harm they could face.


Anyone can pursue a premises liability claim if they suffer injuries on another person’s property, even if they were trespassing at the time of the accident. However, they must show that the owner’s negligent actions contributed to their injury.

The property owner could be liable even if they weren’t the one at fault for an accident. For example, if they hired a contractor to perform maintenance and the contractor didn’t do their job correctly, the owner could face liability for a guest’s injury.

Examples of possible defendants in a premises liability case are:

  • Property owner
  • Business owner
  • Homeowner
  • Manager
  • Maintenance worker
  • Employee
  • Landlord
  • Contractor or subcontractor


Premises liability cases are often complex. Since someone other than the property owner could be at fault for an accident, determining who you can seek compensation from becomes a confusing process. OnderLaw can help you determine fault after an accident on another person’s property.

Places Where Premises Liability Claims Could Arise

You could suffer injuries anywhere. Even if you’re at your friend’s house and trust that you will be safe, you could still end up in a traumatic accident that causes significant harm.

The most common places where premises liability accidents happen include:

  • Shopping malls
  • Apartment complexes and buildings
  • Supermarkets
  • Public playgrounds
  • Amusement parks
  • Residential properties
  • Retail stores
  • Public and private swimming pools
  • Hotels
  • Community parks
  • Office buildings
  • Sports arenas
  • Parking lots


If you suffered injuries on a premise not listed above, you might still be entitled to compensation from the owner. You should call OnderLaw to discuss the details of the accident so we can advise whether you have a case to pursue.

Types of Premises Liability Accidents

OnderLaw can handle various cases involving premises liability accidents. The most common types are:

Elevator Injuries

The property owner is supposed to maintain their elevators regularly and repair or replace worn-out or defective parts. If an elevator is out of order, the owner should place warning signs to prevent anyone from trying to use it. If they fail in their duties and the elevator malfunctions, someone could get seriously hurt.

Slip and Fall Accidents

Slip and fall accidents involve a guest slipping on a hazard and suffering some type of injury. The most common causes of slip and falls are:

  • Uneven flooring
  • Loose rugs and mats
  • Missing or broken handrails
  • Inadequate warning signs around hazardous areas
  • Walkway obstructions
  • Wet floors


Residential Property Accidents

When you hang out at someone else’s house, you assume they have taken the necessary precautions to prevent accidents. However, the owner could be liable for your injury if their negligence leads to any of these scenarios:

  • Falling branches or trees
  • Electric shock
  • Drowning
  • Slip and fall
  • Inhaling toxic chemicals
  • Fires
  • Swimming pool injuries
  • Balcony or deck collapse


Amusement Park Accidents

Thousands of people visit amusement parks and waterparks each day. It’s not just the rides that should be safe. The owner must ensure every part of the property is in a safe condition, such as:

  • Foodservice locations
  • Parking lots
  • Ticket areas
  • Bathrooms
  • Retail stores


Staircase Accidents

Stairs could become cracked or damaged from everyday use. Wear and tear are natural. However, stairs are hazardous if they put people at risk of injury or death during a fall. The owner must repair broken steps, missing railings, and damaged lights. Injuries often occur on staircases from falls.

Swimming Pools

Whether you’re at a private or public pool, you could encounter unsafe conditions that cause injuries. There could be broken glass at the bottom of the pool or cracked concrete that causes cuts to your feet. A loose ladder could cause you to fall and hit your head on the edge of the pool.

Multiple parties could be to blame for a swimming pool accident, and liability will depend on where the injury happened. For example, if you were injured in a friend’s pool, you could hold the homeowner liable. If you were in an accident at a public pool owned by the city, you could hold the governmental agency liable.

Construction Areas

Passersby can suffer severe injuries wherever there’s a construction area. Maybe you work in an office undergoing renovations or pass a construction site while walking down the street. Heavy machinery, construction materials, and other factors can contribute to accidents. The most common types of construction site accidents include:

  • Electrical shock from exposed live wires
  • Malfunctioning cranes, forklifts, and other machinery
  • Unsecured platforms and ladders
  • Exposure to harmful chemicals
  • Falling debris


Explosions and Fires

Faulty electrical components, unsafe handling of flammable materials, and other similar factors can spark a fire or lead to an explosion. This type of accident can happen on any residential or commercial property. Owners must meet all safety standards and keep their buildings up to code. If any dangers arise, they should address them immediately.

Negligent Security

Sometimes, business owners employ security guards to monitor their guests and prevent crimes. If there’s a dark or unsafe area of the property without adequate security, someone could become the victim of assault or suffer a life-threatening fall and not receive the help they need in time to survive.

Compensation for Injuries on Private, Public, or Commercial Properties

Whether you sustained a minor or debilitating injury, you deserve compensation for your resulting losses, such as:

  • Medical bills
  • Physical impairment or disfigurement
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Emotional distress
  • Damage to personal property
  • Pain and suffering
  • Lost wages
  • Lost earning capacity


The process for seeking compensation will depend on where you were injured. If the accident occurred on private property, you could file a claim with the homeowner’s insurance company. You could negotiate a settlement with the owner’s liability insurance carrier for injuries on public properties, such as restaurants or shopping centers.

However, if you were in an accident on government property, such as a public park, you would have to file a claim with the appropriate municipality. The California Tort Claims Act allows a person to hold a governmental agency liable for injuries caused by an employee if they carried out a government function or were acting in the scope of their employment when the accident happened.

You must file your claim with the correct governmental entity within six months of the accident date. Liability claims against homeowners and commercial property owners typically don’t have strict timeframes. The time period allowed depends on the requirements listed in the policy. However, if you want to file a lawsuit against a commercial or residential property owner, you must follow a two-year statute of limitations, which gives you two years from the date of the injury to sue for compensation.

Contact Us

The Riverside premises liability attorneys of OnderLaw care about our clients. We will prioritize you and your case from the moment you hire us. We provide guidance, support, and honest communication from start to finish of the process. Our legal team will remain in your corner to advocate for your rights and work hard to secure the money you’re owed.

If you suffered injuries in a premises liability accident in Riverside, do not hesitate to call OnderLaw for your free consultation.