Irvine Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys
Slip and fall accidents can be as dangerous as they are sudden. One minute you’re walking through the grocery store, on your way back to grab the milk you nearly forgot, and the next you’re flat on your back in a puddle of water, no warning cone in sight. If you’re lucky, you may only have a sore back for a couple of days. If you’re unlucky, you could end up with a broken arm or even a serious head injury.
Slips and falls can occur in a wide range of settings due to a wide range of causes. If you’ve suffered a slip and fall injury on someone else’s property, they could be liable for damages if they didn’t keep the premises reasonably safe. And if you want to pursue compensation from a negligent building owner or manager, you shouldn’t undertake a personal injury claim by yourself.
The Irvine personal injury lawyers of OnderLaw, LLC are ready to take your call. When you contact us, you’ll get a free consultation where we can discuss your case, advise you about your legal options, and help you decide what to do next. Call us at (314) 963-9000 today, and let us help you get started on the road to compensation.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
When you’ve been hurt in an accident, especially one that wasn’t your fault, the last thing you need to take on is the time-consuming, tiring, and often frustrating responsibility of pursuing compensation. The energy and effort the process requires can tax your mental health and impede your physical healing. Meanwhile, the demands of regular daily life don’t go away. When your primary job should be recovering your health, the stress and distraction that accompany an injury compensation claim shouldn’t get in the way.
An experienced, qualified personal injury attorney will take all the legal responsibilities off your plate. By consistently consulting with you and keeping you in the loop about the progress of your case, we’ll help reduce your stress so you can concentrate on your recovery. Your lawyer is there to earn your trust and take the load of legal proceedings off your shoulders. You shouldn’t have to go it alone.
Why Choose OnderLaw, LLC?
[firm name]’s slip and fall accident attorneys have been successfully prosecuting slip and fall cases since 2002. To date, we’ve obtained more than $3 billion in compensation for our clients. We understand the human side of the law, and we’re here to make the legal side of your situation as easy and stress-free for you as possible.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident in Irvine that wasn’t your fault, call us at (314) 963-9000 for a free consultation. Our attorneys are thoroughly familiar with California slip and fall laws, and we won’t charge you a penny unless we obtain compensation for you.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can have many causes, but some are more common than others:
- Spills or leaks creating slick surfaces
- Loose carpeting, rugs, or flooring
- Objects left on the ground or walkways
- Uncovered cords, cables, or tree roots
- Substandard or damaged handrails, railings, or balconies
- Warnings not posted in places where there are hazards
- Dim lighting
- Uneven or damaged walking surfaces
Property Manager/Owner Responsibilities in California
Under California law, whoever is responsible for the maintenance of a property—whether it’s the owner, manager, or someone else—has a basic responsibility to use “reasonable care” to keep the property safe. If you were injured in a slip or a fall and the site’s owner did not take reasonable measures to ensure a safe environment, you may have a strong case for compensation for your expenses. Such measures might include prompt repairs, regular or adequate safety inspections, putting up warning signs, or timely removal of the hazard.
In order to prove in court that someone else was responsible for your injuries, we must be able to show, with evidence, that there was a hazard the owner knew or should have known about. We’ll have to prove that the hazard was what caused your accident and that your injuries occurred in that accident.
By linking the property owner’s lack of reasonable care to the hazardous condition that caused your injuries, your OnderLaw, LLC lawyer has laid the groundwork for your compensation claim.
Common Injuries Suffered in Slip and Fall Accidents
Not every slip and fall injury requires medical attention, of course. But according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in five results in serious injury. The CDC also reports that slip and fall incidents are the most common cause of hip fractures and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Several types of injuries are commonly associated with slips and falls, including:
- Cuts and abrasions
- Back and neck injuries
- Knee and other joint injuries
- Spinal injuries and spinal cord damage
- Broken bones
- Fractured hips
- Head injuries (including concussions, TBIs, and skull fractures)
Although not as common as less serious outcomes, slip and fall deaths are hardly rare. The CDC notes that among older U.S. adults in 2018, around 32,000 fatalities resulted from falls. If you have lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident and believe someone else is responsible, you should contact a personal injury attorney to discuss the possibility of a wrongful death claim.
Compensation for Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
The costs of your injuries from a slip and fall accident can add up quickly, but you may have more compensation-eligible expenses than you think. Your attorney will advise you regarding what particular kinds of compensation you should pursue. These are the most common types of losses that result from slip and fall claims:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Exemplary damages (rarely awarded)
On occasion, a jury may choose to augment your award with exemplary damages (also known as punitive damages). Intended as punishment for a defendant who has acted in a fraudulent or willfully malicious manner, exemplary damages are distinct from any compensation the court has already decided to give you. Exemplary damages are a rare bonus, and only juries can award them. They probably will not factor into a negotiated pre-trial settlement.
Also, if your case appears headed for trial, you should know that California has a pure comparative negligence rule. It enables the court to divide negligence between you and the property owner if you had partial responsibility for the accident, potentially reducing any award amount you might receive. However, you might not even have to go through a trial if your attorney can negotiate an acceptable settlement. If your case does end up in court, your OnderLaw, LLC personal injury lawyer will work for you throughout the course of your lawsuit to secure fair compensation.
What to Do if You’re Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
When you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, your first priority obviously is to summon help and seek medical attention as soon as possible. Still, there are other steps you need to take that will be important to help you establish a valid personal injury claim.
You may not be able to do all of these things on your own. In that case, find someone trustworthy, like a spouse or good friend, who is willing to help.
- Gather contact information from your supporting witnesses.
- Set aside the clothes and shoes you were wearing when the accident happened.
- Write out a detailed description of your accident. Memory and recall are sharper soon after a traumatic incident, so the sooner you can write down your account, the better.
- Find out who is responsible for the site of the mishap and report the accident to them. This could be a property manager, the owner, or someone else.
- Take pictures and videos of the scene. Be sure to shoot multiple angles and clearly show any objects that contributed to your accident. Visual documentation of the premises and its condition at or soon after the time of the incident can provide critical evidence later on.
- Engage a capable personal injury attorney. The earlier you bring in a lawyer to advise you and defend your interests, the more likely you’ll end up with a successful case.
- Continue to follow the instruction of your physician. Doctor visits, prescriptions, and related receipts will provide a paper trail that will document not only your injury-related expenses but also your responsible conduct in the healing process.
- Take care not to talk about any aspects of the accident with the responsible party’s insurance carrier or legal representatives. Your attorney should handle all such contact and communication.
- Don’t discuss the accident on social media or with anyone you don’t know and trust. The outcome of your case may depend on it.
Contact an Irvine Slip and Fall Attorney Today
You shouldn’t have to do this by yourself. At OnderLaw, LLC, our lawyers are people first, and we base our services on your well-being as an individual. You do the healing, and we’ll take care of the legal work.
Call us now at (314) 963-9000, and we’ll talk with you about your situation and advise you on the prospects for your case. Remember, this initial consultation is free, and if we handle your case, we’ll only bill you if it results in compensation. We’re standing by now, ready to help however we can.