More and more people are forgoing four wheels in favor of their own two feet. Walking is fast becoming a popular way to exercise, run errands, and make an eco-friendlier transportation choice. However, walking isn’t without its risks. Reckless or negligent drivers can pose significant safety concerns to those just trying to peacefully share Missouri roadways. In fact, according to statistics from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, in 2017, a pedestrian was killed in a traffic collision every 88 minutes.
Pedestrians fortunate enough to survive a collision with a car may end up with life-altering injuries, complicating their work situation and ability to generate an income. Medical costs, lifestyle alterations, loss of income, and dealing with these changes come at a price. Should a pedestrian involved in a car crash be forced to pay for the accident for the rest of their life?
At OnderLaw, LLC, we have extensive experience handling car versus pedestrian accidents in the Ferguson area. When a negligent driver causes an accident, the victim may be due compensation to cover the costs associated with medical bills, continued treatments, and a loss of income. Do you know what your accident claim is worth, or are you taking the word of the other person’s insurance company?
If you are ready to find out more about how an experienced Ferguson personal injury attorney may be able to help you get the maximum compensation possible following a pedestrian accident, contact the team at OnderLaw, LLC. To help get you started, we offer a free, no-obligation legal consultation. You have nothing to lose. Call us today at (314) 963-9000, and let us help you recover the money you deserve.
Why Hire a Ferguson Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
Collisions with pedestrians tend to be the most catastrophic of any accident type. It’s not hard to understand why. A car weighing at least three tons or more collides with a pedestrian who is wearing only the clothes they left the house with. It is not much of a competition. Injuries can be severe, causing a victim to miss work while recovering and possibly even rendering them unable to return to work at all. Severe injuries can also significantly alter an individual’s quality of life.
All these changes come at an enormous cost, both physically and financially. The high cost of medical care combined with being unable to work leaves many victims feeling helpless. That’s why you need an experienced Ferguson pedestrian accident attorney on your side.
An attorney becomes your advocate, someone working towards your best interests. While you focus on your recovery, the legal team at OnderLaw, LLC will focus on gathering evidence and building a solid case establishing why you deserve the maximum amount of compensation possible. We also take the time to support you and your needs during this difficult time, guiding you through the legal process with compassion and transparency. After a traumatic accident, you do not need to carry the burden of fighting with insurance adjusters or negligent drivers.
Are you ready to offload the stress and anxiety of dealing with the aftermath of a serious pedestrian accident? Then contact the law firm of OnderLaw, LLC today and talk with one of our skilled Ferguson pedestrian accident attorneys. We are ready to fight for you.
Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Plenty of pedestrian accidents are the result of reckless and negligent driving behaviors. When a driver fails to exercise caution, especially in high traffic areas where pedestrians are likely to walk, the results can be deadly. Some of the most common causes of Ferguson pedestrian versus car accidents include:
- Distracted driving is one of the most dangerous driving behaviors. A driver taking their eyes or attention off the road, even for a moment, can miss seeing pedestrians on the side of the road or in crosswalks. Talking on the phone, texting, eating, playing loud music, or grooming practices are some of the most common distractions.
Drunk or impaired driving
- 2019 statistics from the Missouri Highway State Patrol show that drinking and driving are dangerous to both occupants of vehicles and pedestrians, resulting in serious injuries and loss of life. Driving while impaired reduces an individual’s ability to think clearly and rationally, slows their reflexes, and impairs their vision. Unfortunately, impaired drivers may not realize that they have even struck a pedestrian until it is too late.
- In 2019, numbers from the Governor’s Highway Safety Association show that at least ten pedestrians were killed as a result of speeding. Forty-four other pedestrians suffered injuries. Speeding, especially excessively, is a reckless driving behavior that can take away a driver’s ability to slow down in time to avoid a collision. Speeding can also make vehicles harder to control.
Left-hand turn accidents
- Drivers making left-hand turns tend to be more focused on watching traffic in both directions and making their turn than they are on pedestrians potentially in the walkway. For this reason, many drivers making left-hand turns fail to notice pedestrians, especially those crossing in crosswalks.
Parking lot and intersection accidents
- Pedestrian accidents are going to occur more regularly in areas where both pedestrians and drivers are sharing the same space. That means that parking lots and intersections are some of the most dangerous areas for pedestrians to share with cars. Pedestrians walking to their cars are often most at risk.
School zone accidents
- School zones can be particularly hazardous for pedestrians, especially young children. Drivers speeding, ignoring signs, flying through crosswalks, or driving around busses with their lights on and sign down put innocent lives at stake.
Construction zone accidents
- Despite warning signs, cones, and slower speed limits, construction zones continue to be dangerous areas for pedestrians, such as construction workers. Changes in traffic flow patterns can throw off motorists, causing accidents. Those not following the recommended speed limit are also at risk of hitting workers in construction zones.
Most Common Injuries from Pedestrian Accidents
Significant and traumatic injuries are not uncommon when it comes to pedestrian versus car accidents. Cars offer some measure of protection to drivers and passengers, but pedestrians have no such luxury. Accidents at lowers speeds can be serious. Accidents at higher speeds can be deadly. Recovering from a serious pedestrian accident can take months, even years. In more severe cases, a victim may be left with permanent disabilities that they will have to live with for the rest of their life.
The most common injuries that tend to be associated with pedestrian accidents are:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Other neck and spinal injuries
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Road rash
- Wrongful death
What is the Cost of a Ferguson Pedestrian Attorney?
Cost analysis. It is something that many pedestrian accident victims become familiar with after being involved in a serious collision. Out of work, missing paychecks, and with mounting bills, victims are often forced to analyze their costs and find creative means to make ends meet. The extremely high cost of medical bills that result from the accident may mean going without other daily essentials, like groceries. It is during these trying and stressful times that many victims perceive the cost of an attorney as too high. Legal fees seem like something that is unobtainable in their budget.
At OnderLaw, LLC, we understand the pain and frustration you are feeling at this moment. However, hiring an attorney to handle your Ferguson pedestrian accident claim may be the soundest financial decision you make. An attorney is your personal advocate, someone that will be on the lookout for your best interests, protecting your rights, and ensuring that you aren’t being short-changed. Victims with attorneys watching their backs also tend to get larger settlements than those individuals who go it alone.
The legal team at OnderLaw, LLC can complete a detailed review of your case, gather evidence supporting your claim, and negotiate on your behalf for the compensation that you deserve. To help get you started on your journey to justice, we offer a free, no-obligation consultation. Beyond that, we work on a contingency-fee-basis. That means that you don’t owe us a retainer or money upfront. We get paid when you get paid.
Ready to discuss your case or ask questions about the legal process of recovering compensation after a pedestrian accident? Contact us today at (314) 963-9000.
Contact an Experienced Ferguson Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
A traumatic pedestrian collision can upend your entire world. Mental anguish, physical pain, and financial stress have all been suddenly placed on your shoulders, and it can be difficult to cope. But you don’t have to cope alone. The legal team at OnderLaw, LLC can take on some of that pressure and provide you with a compassionate and understanding team to rely on.
Want to talk about holding the negligent driver responsible for the accident? Contact the seasoned legal team at OnderLaw, LLC for help. We can lay out your options for recovering fair compensation and achieving justice. Contact us today by calling (314) 963-9000 for a free consultation.